CALL FOR PAPERS
15th ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ISLAMIC STUDIES (AICIS)
MANADO, INDONESIA, 3-6 SEPTEMBER 2015
THE MAIN THEME
Harmony in Diversity: Promoting Moderation and Preventing Conflicts in Socio-Religious Life
The Annual International Conference on Islamic Studies (AICIS) aims to provide opportunities for scholars and researchers to introduce their works and share their ideas at international stage. The 15th AICIS to be held in Manado, North Sulawesi, in September 2015 espouses the main theme: “Harmony in Diversity: Promoting Moderation and Preventing Conflicts in Socio-Religious Life.” This theme is meant to respond current socio-political and religious issues in many parts of the world.During the conference, the concepts and cases of harmony, diversity, moderation, and conflicts will be explored deeply from different perspectives and approaches. In particular, issues related to the dynamics of socio-religious and political life in Indonesia will be evaluated and discussed in the light of values and principles as described in the concept of national unity (NKRI) and Pancasila ideology. Following recent institutional transformation of some Islamic Higher Education Institutions into full-board universities or State Islamic University (UIN), discussions in this 15th AICIS will highlight paradigmatic and methodological issues related to connection, and integration between religion and science.
Distinguished scholars of Islamic studies and other disciplines from around the world are invited to participate in this conference, to share their thoughts in order to contribute to the making of religious peace and harmony at local, national, dan global levels. Papers can be prepared inline with sub-themes and submitted according to requirements and timeline provided by conference organizer. The best papers will be selected for presentation and included in conference proceedings.
SUB THEMES AND AREAS OF PERSPECTIVES FOR DISCUSSIONS
- A. Education, Citizenship, and Peace Building
- Creating Good Citizens and Maintaining Religious Harmony through Education.
- Connecting and Integrating Civic Education and Religious Education.
- Toward a Multicultural Citizenship Education in Indonesia.
- Building Harmony and Peace through Religious Education.
- Multicultural Education for Maintaining Ethno-Religious Harmony.
- Framing Religious Contents in School Text Books.
- Managing Religious Harmony in Multicultural Societies: National and Global Experiences.
- Cross-Cultural Comparisons of Peace Building through Educational Initiatives.
- Diversity and Pedagogy: Rethinking Religious Education in Plural Society.
B. Maqasid Al-Sharia for Promoting Moderation Islam
- The Socio-Political and Religious Impacts of Sharia Law Implementation.
- Contemporary Legal and Constitutional Issues on Religious Freedom.
- Religious Conflicts: The Roots, the Spread, and the Victims.
- Law Enforcement, Religious Interests, and Religious Instituions.
- Human Right Issues in Religious Conficts.
- Assessment of Religious Policies: Comparative Studies.
C. Theology in The Dynamics of Religious Pluralism
- The Qur’an, Peace, and Conflict Resolution.
- Hadith and Human Relations.
- Classical Islamic Thoughts on Inter-religious Dialogue.
- Contemporary Islamic Thoughts on Inter-religious Dialogue.
- Peace and Conflicts in Non-Islamic Scriptures.
- Theological Disputes and Religious Pluralism.
- Sufism in Religious Diversity.
D. Social and Political Dimensions of Religion and Modernity
- Civil Society and Democracy.
- Peace and Conflicts Resolution.
- Clean and Good Governance in Islam.
- Majority-Minority Issues in Muslim Society.
- Gender Issues in Modern Society.
- Managing Religion-State Relations in Islam.
E. The Economic Dimensions of Peace and Harmony
- Charity and Religious Mission.
- The Economic Dimensions of Religious Fundamentalism.
- The Emergence of Islamic Banking: Over-crossing Theological Boundaries.
- Building Religious Harmony through Economic Empowerment.
- Peace, Harmony, and Social Justice.
- Managing Public Goods for Building and Mantaining Social Harmony.
F. The Psychological Aspects of Religious Life
- Self-fulfilling Truth in Religious Understanding.
- The Personal Motives of the Radicals.
- The Concept of Self and the Others in Religions.
- Sense of Community in Religious Environment.
- Disillusionment in Religion and Its Social Implications.
- Leadership and Loyalty in Religious Community.
G. Science and Technology for Peace Building
- The use and misuse of ICT in Public Sphere.
- Religious Debates on Nuclear and Biochemical Weapons.
- Environmental Issues.
- Ethical Issues in ICT Applications.
- Islamic Perspectives on Science and Technology.
- Science Integration
- H. Communication and Outreach Activities
- Preaching Religion in Multicultural Society.
- Social Works and Society Empowerment.
- Local Wisdom and Propagation
- Redefinition of Means and Media in Preaching Religion.
- Peace Journalism.
Paper Submission Requirements
- Papers are based on original research project.
- Papers have never been published or presented elsewhere.
- Paper topics are relevant to one of the sub-themes.
- Papers are preferred to be written in English or Arabic.
- An Abstract should be submitted with the Paper:
- 250 words maximum;
- Title, name of author(s), organisation affiliation, address(es), email(s);
- A4 paper size, Calibri 10 point font, single spacing, justify, italic and 1” margin (top, bottom, left and right).
The maximum length of the paper is 30 pages (including title page and all figures, graphs, tables, appendices, and references):
- A4 paper size, justify, single spacing, 1” margin (top, bottom, left and right), Calibri font size 16 (title), font size 12 (sectional titles), font size 11 (body) and font size 10 (references);
- References style use APA 6th system convention.
- Writers are required to provide updated CV including current publications.
- All documents are submitted in ms-word/rtf, as well as PDF (Portable Document Format) and please make sure that the documents are virus-free prior to submitting;
- Abstract and Full Papers are submitted to 15th AICIS 2015 committee: email@example.com, cc to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than July 30, 2015. For further information please visit the official website at aicis-iainmanado.ac.id.